All of us would like to know how to buy a car cheap. If you are currently in the market for a new or used vehicle, you have probably seen all the ads in the paper advertising some ridiculously low price that doesn’t exist once you get to the dealership. But do not despair. You can get a great deal at a dealership once you become an informed buyer. Here are a few quick tips on how to buy your next car for the cheap price you are looking for.
- Shop at the right time. The best times to shop are rainy days, mid week, end of the month, and August through November. The reasons vary, but this is when you will get your best deals.
- Do your homework before you go to the dealership. Know how much you can afford both for the price and monthly, what your trade in value should be, if there are any manufacturers incentives available, and consumer reviews of the vehicle you are looking at.
- Try to arrange financing before you go to the dealership. This will help you know how much you can afford. It also takes away the opportunity for the dealership to tack on a point or two on your loan.
- Ask the sales agent if there are any unadvertised specials.
- Try to control negotiations. This can be hard to do because all car salespeople are trained in negotiations. Always be willing to walk away from the deal. After all, they are not the only car dealership around, and it is just a car. Do not get emotionally attached to the vehicle until you own it. This is especially true of new vehicles where the options can be easily shopped from dealer to dealer.
- Don’t just accept sticker price. The sticker price is a beginning point for car dealers to start the negotiation process. If you are going to buy a car cheap, it will be necessary to negotiate the price down.
- Enjoy the process. Car buying does not have to be a stressful experience. Take your time and buy the vehicle that you want. Do not be pressured into a deal that is not good for you in the long term. Do not be talked into buying a vehicle that is out of your budget or does not suite your needs.
You can buy a car cheap if you go to the dealer knowing which vehicle you want, and armed with the knowledge of how they operate.