Budget car rentals are a traveler’s savior from being stranded in one place and from expensive taxi rides. But with today’s competitive market in price competition, it won’t be a surprise that from trying to rent a car you end up renting a lawnmower instead. Well, maybe not a lawnmower but perhaps something rather close.
Let ‘s face it, there could just well be sometimes that the people that assist you in car rentals just may not have your best interest in mind, so you end up paying good money for a pool of frustrations. To avoid such situation, here are a few tips to get the best out of budget car rental, finding the best prices and how to save money – and hopefully by following these tips, you can have a more stress free car rental experience:
1. If you’re not choosy with a budget car rental, try to get a budget car rental through sites that let you rent cars at your own price. These firms will try to get the best deal for the car that you’ll get and might just toss in unlimited mileage and upgrades, all of that without spending an extra dime out of budget.
2. Look for package deals, fly-drive-stay, or fly- drive, most of these packages give great discounts for rentals, but don’t do it with an airline, airlines while convenient aren’t really the more economical way to go, their budget car rental prices are hardly budget, and tend to be higher than those of outside firms.
3. Use the internet to reserve a rental car. Ah, the internet, what other good can’t it provide? Yes there are budget car rentals on the internet that can give you a better bargain. Some budget car rental sites even go as far as internet only discounts. Aside from that you can easily get upgrades and depending on the season, at least one rental company is bound to have a special offer that can help you save money, plus, you can rent a car from the comfort of your own home, beat that! It’s also a good idea to call your car rental company or review their web site to determine the terms and policy of the rental agreement.
4. Ask for discounts that can be applicable to you, remember even when you’ve scored the best deal, there is still that one last ditch of a possibility that one of your credit cards support the company and provide discounts or that your frequent flyer program or military service can put that budget in budget car rental, its a long shot but its worth a try.
5. Most budget car rentals are low on maintenance so when you rent a car, check all sides for any possible damage, and I mean every side and every nook and cranny of that car, make sure to inform the renter of these so that you wont have to pay for damages once you return the car. In addition, try to check out all the accessories, wipers, radio, brakes, seatbelts etc, to familiarize yourself with them, and also to check if they work, like the previous tip, you might be charged for this if you don’t inform them.
6. Now we shall cover the the subject of insurance: Sometimes your own car insurance covers car rentals, so check that out before you buy insurance from the rental firm. Budget car rental insurance usually doesn’t cost much, but if you already have one why buy another? Car rental insurance is always required when you rent a car.
7. Another money saving tip is to pick up your car early in the morning, make it so that the firm is just opening, this is because at this time most of the budget car rentals haven’t been returned yet, and you may get an upgrade for a lower price.
Other pointers to take note: It would be a good idea to have emergency kit handy in case of emergency. Plan your trip, make good use of maps so that you will have good idea of the places that you are going.
On the whole, for people with an adventuring mindset, renting a car is a great idea, as it allows you to explore a greater area and to plan trips that suit your own pace. I certainly hope that the above tips on car rental can make a difference in making your vacation a more memorable one.
Drive safe. Enjoy!